Monday, April 16, 2012

Email from April 16, 2012

Hi All,

Haha I'm doing fine mom. I'll let you know when it starts to get hard. I'm just mostly worried about when I start training in a couple months. It's easy with a trainer because he's always there to support you when you lose your train of thought. Haha I'm scared that I'm gonna scare off the kid that I'll train though. But the mission is good, it's helping me to grow up fast. Never take for granted all the members back home though haha. But the way that I see it, you only grow if you push yourself. So I'd rather have the training now, rather than when I become a leader or something.

I have absolutely no problem with my companion. He's easy to get along with. And if I have any problems I can easily talk to him about them.

Yes please send letters, I can read them during the week. It's nice to be able just to pick something up at the Post office haha.

No, I love hearing about what's going on at home with Brandon. That's cool, sounds like he's having fun doing that. So does he have a friend that he works with and hangs out with? They're doing the DI thing together?

I'm sure your talk was great. All people really care about is hearing your testimony that it's true. The other stuff comes with time, and through your own study. I remember hearing a conference talk about a man who taught a class that could hardly speak english, yet he taught the class powerfully. Because of his powerful testimony and desire to share it with the class.

Haha dad did the whole priesthood conference by himself? That's awesome! Way to go dad! Ya the conference talks are powerful. I loved looking for things to improve on from them. They make it so simple so you can apply each principle. Line upon line, precept upon precept.
My week was good. I'm feeling fine haha. Don't get too worried over there mom :P.

The thing that worries me most, and is something that I'll talk to my mission president about when I get my interview. But I feel like I'm mostly harming the people over here by helping them receive the gospel. Because hardly any of the members come to church. I feel like what we really should be doing is helping the less actives build their faith. It doesn't make much sense to me to go about helping investigators, if when they join the church that they won't have any support from the members.

For example. There is a 60 year old man that we are teaching that has totally accepted the gospel. He's been reading from the Book of Mormon everyday and is up to Mosiah 20 (Which i'm pretty positive most of the members haven't even read that far), and yet he has bad legs so he needs someone to take him from his house to the church (And we can't do that because we are the missionaries, so if we left he'd never come to church), but none of the members seem to be willing to help him to church.

I just feel like if I was an investigator who only had 1 month experience with the church, and I had no friends in the church to help me with questions that I had. Then it would be nearly impossible for me to stay active for the rest of my life. Maybe I'm wrong.

One of the rules is that I'm not suppose to write anything negative in my emails though, so do you consider this negative?

I'm getting along fine with my companion. He's one of the coolest guys i've met.

The laundry is actually easier over here personally, haha your clothes just aren't as clean. It's when I start handwashing again that it'll be exciting.

Ah, it's Cherish? Hey. Hahah you little cheater stealing the car :P. Aww man, I miss adventures with you guys. Mm ice cream does sound tasty.

Bahahaha what do you owe the IRS for? Maybe you guys should try the budget I'm living off of :P. You'd be rich in a couple months. Hahaha.

Yes you should definately get that job. But you better have it when I get back so I can go to Hawaii :).

Woah Preschool! Suzie you're getting old!

Haha that's funny. Has Brandon ever brought stuff home that you'd even want to buy from him? It sounds like he's finding pretty good stuff.

Scouting is perfect for Todd! Maybe he can take them all to get their hunter safety and fishing stuff. Then he'll have them come and beg him to take them hunting and fishing all the time haha.

That's an awesome song. Of course my testimony is growing stronger haha. You can automatically see all the blessings we have back home because of the people who live the gospel around us. Everything about the gospel is amazing. You just wish that you could teach all these people what we have back home though.

Back home we have Scouts, mutual, Home teachers, Leaders who know the scriptures and have been taught by some of the best, Seminary, Institute, Ward Activities, Dances, Good schools that teach you to read and write, Lds.org, etc.

If these people had all those resources, they would be powerful.

Ya, I know. Still I feel young :P. But the growth always comes with the challenge. Not the sling.

Soo I don't know what else to write. I'll just give you random experiences

First, one of the funniest things to me about here.

The F, S, B, A swear words here. Is just like saying crap, or darn, or whatever.

But their swear words are.. (I hope you get a kick out of this because it's worse than saying the F word)

Stupid, Little Boy, Fool.

Hahahaha, how awesome is that?

Also to call someone Fat here is really good. People love to be called fat. It means that you are well off. ( And they are seriously fat ).

Hmm some other funny things. There's this really awesome less active we've been teaching, and we've just been trying to figure out why she won't come to church because she loves the missionaries and having the lessons, and believes in the Book of Mormon.. She has quite a few reasons for not coming, and they are all really reasonable if you don't have the support like we do back home. Because we can find the answers to these quite quickly.

One, when she went to the temple and did baptisms for the dead. She was absolutely terrified when she saw the oxen that the baptismal font sits on. She'd always heard about how we're a cult and that when you get the higher offices of the church you learn things that the lower offices don't know. Some things she'd heard were that you find out that we are really idol worshippers. So she felt like when she was doing baptisms for the dead that she was worshipping the oxen. Funny, and sad at the same time that it's things like those that are holding her back.

Also the common one - The Book of Mammon. People think that the word Mormon means Mammon. We explained that one to her.

Hmm what else.

It's offensive to eat food while you are walking.

I just found that out yesterday. You need to sit down when you eat.

I haven't had any trouble with the left hand thing. I'm still not really sure when it's not acceptable.

I don't know if I told you about the gutters. But basically on the sides of the roads there a ditches full of poo water and garbage, so you just get use to the smell. I've heard a couple stories now about people that have crashed their bikes into them. Hahaha I would not be a fan of that.
But actually there has been people cleaning them recently.

Elder Eldredge has been making brownies and chocolate chip cookies from home. Talk about delicious. He was in an apartment with Sam from back home. So the first day I got here, I was like Hey I recognize you from Sam's blog! You're the cowboy hat guy that liked to sit under the AC. Yup.

Well the weeks been good, love you all. Talk to you later Alligators.

-Elder Adair

No comments:

Post a Comment