Tuesday, October 15, 2013

October 8, 2013

Hey mom,

No the computers are usually pretty fast, it's just some weeks the
connection will be slow.

Yes, I'm still in the same area, Odoben, with Elder Kirumira from Uganda.

Hey, I forgot you guys got to watch general conference! Oh well i'll
see it soon enough. That's a sweet talk from Pres. Monson. Personally
I think it'd be best just to focus on people that you already know.
What Converts need is a friend in the church who can be there to give
them confidence, and help them know what's going on really.

Yes dad is getting old, but now that I'm thinking about it that means
he gave birth to Cherish around 22 years old. That's only 1 year away
for me now. Wow. Is my math right?

Haha I'm glad Suzy still misses me :)

Yikes that's a sad story about the puppy. That is strange that it took
so long to show up. But as well looking at it from a Ghanian point of
view.. 2 thousand dollars of surgery money on a dog... Maybe I won't
say anything on that haha ... Except I still want to know what dog
tastes like :)...

As for what's happening on this side of the globe -

Brother Nestor was baptized and confirmed the past couple of days. I
love this guy, he would have been my best friend back home. It was fun
teaching him the commandments and making them clear of the do's and
don'ts. I played the piano during the baptism as well. The piano makes
it so much nicer :). But I'll be excited to continue teaching him.

Sis Gifty has returned, but for some reason she has backslided and
hasn't been progressing :(. So we're just backing off a bit and
letting her decide for herself to act on what we've shared with her.

Bro Kwesi is doing well and still likes the church, it's harder
teaching the lessons because they have to be translated and you don't
get to become as close to the investigator, but he's got solid friends
who help him as well.

Sis Henryetta (13 years) is good as well. She's got a sister and a
bunch of friends in the church. I guess we're mostly working on making
our lessons a little more interesting for her age though. I was
thinking of like for the 10 commandments to use each finger to
represent each commandment. for example the first commandment I would
use 1 finger to point at the sky. Representing worshiping only 1 god.
the second commandment use 2 fingers and act like they are bowing down
to idols. Etc. it wasn't amazing but I think it would help keep her
attention a bit more. Luckily she likes reading and so she is good at
restudying what we teach as well.

With study I read a little bit from Jeremiah about how the people at
that time were worshipping idols, they were sacrificing their children
to the gods, they were commiting adultery and harloting, they were
liars, and just how god continually warned them to repent. That's what
I loved the most is that god keeps telling them about the destructions
that will come to them for their sins, but he would always add repent
and he would forgive.

As well I read a talk from Henry B Eyring, he mostly was covering the
commandments like Keeping the Sabbath Holy, Prayer, Scripture Study,
Service in the Church. He also jumped around to the Ressurection of
Christ as he explained about Scripture Study and things like that. But
it's interesting to see how they always focus on the missionary
lessons in general conference, but you can see how they go at it from
different angles.  I liked how he related the principles to himself
and a personal experience he had by doing each of the commandments.

At District Meeting today Elder Doggett explained about using the Book
of Mormon in our teachings and how important it is to use the Book of
Mormon, and he reminded us of Once Sister Shulz (Mission Presidents
Wife) asked the missionaries how many of them had their testimony come
from reading the Book of Mormon, and almost every Elder raised their
hand.

So he just reminded us to use the Book of Mormon and use it to help
against objections or confusions on the church. Which I felt I could
improve on more.

Heyy for our next Zone P-day Activity we might get to watch "the best
2 years" and have food! Cross your fingers that it'll happen.

Love you Mom, I'm grateful for your great example and thanks for
keeping up with the emails every week, it's something nice to look
forward to each week :). I'm grateful for Christ and that he took the
time to come and share with us what is most important in life.

Family Forever

Elder Adair


No comments:

Post a Comment